Global Finals 2019 Recycling & Reuse Report
This year at Global Finals, Destination Imagination partnered with Bridging the Gap and ScrapsKC to improve overall sustainability, reduce the environmental footprint in waste generated, and educate attendees on sustainability efforts and opportunities.
Nearly 18,000 lbs. of waste from the event was diverted from the landfill, including 10,860 pounds of wood and 3,480 lbs. of materials for reuse, including lights, PVC piping, weights, glassware, medical equipment, fabrics, DIY costumes, toys, stage items, and more.
Check out the final recycling and reuse stats below:
- The event diverted 7.67% of all waste from landfill which equates to 17,909.5 lbs! All waste produced during the event was recorded, not just waste from the Prop Storage areas.
- 10,860 pounds of wood was captured for recycling by Missouri Organic. They will chip the wood and use as mulch for KC trees.
- Recycling accounted for 3,569.7 pounds diverted, which included hazardous waste like helium tanks, plastic film (bubble wrap), as well as cardboard, paper, plastic and aluminum.
- Scraps KC was able to divert 3,479.8 pounds of materials for reuse, including event shirts, office supplies, costumes, craft supplies, fabric, stools, carts, PVC pipe and hardware like wheels and hinges.
- For the first time in DI Global Finals history, participants were given the opportunity to reuse or re-purpose their props via a local craft supply non-profit, Scraps KC!
Thank you to these wonderful organizations and our amazing Global Finals teams and attendees for helping to protect our environment through recycling and reuse.